It's 12 a.m. and you want a bologna sandwich. But you're a healthy man or woman. You watch what you eat. So you forgo the snack and fall asleep, hungry and wanting. No more! Modern science has identified some awesome snacks that not only fill you up but also knock you out. Below, five forms of midnight mastication we can endorse.
Oatmeal Carbohydrates release serotonin, calming the brain. "A cup of oatmeal made with milk is the perfect snack before bed," says Michael Breus, Ph.D., author of The Sleep Doctor's Diet.
See the original article at cnn.com
They might not be dressed in tuxes or have a martini in hand, but they're your body's go-to defense in the fight against aging. They team up against disease and diffuse free radicals while combating the aging process.
Their name: Oxidants - antioxidants.
Just like James Bond, they work to save the world and beautiful women from bad guys. Only this time the beautiful woman is you and the free radicals (bad guys)
Organic is and has been the talk of the town. It is supposed to be better for you, but for many, the extra expensive isn't work the health benefits. We wondered: What’s really essential for our health? That’s why found this definitive list.
1. Beef - It's not the typical fruit and vegetables you think about, but beef may actually be the most important thing you buy organically. Much of the beef on the market is full of hormones and other "not-so-healthy" extras, which according to Dr. Samuel Epstein, can lead to
Here is a great article on the dirty produce that you should wash thoroughly, and the clean fifteen that don't require as much cleaning attention.
RE-BLOG: The Resilient Chef
You hear it all the time, “organic food is way too expensive!” We hear this constant yammering because we’re often the ones saying it.
In all honesty being Environmental Studies students on student budgets (who quite frankly should be awarded for not eating three square meals of
There are plenty of alternatives to white sugar around, but are they actually healthier for you? Here are some natural sweeteners you may or may not already be using. Pretty "sweet" to know about them, right?
1. Turbinado Sugar and Sucanat - Most famously used by "Sugar in the Raw," this coarse, light-brown turbinado sugar gets its name from the turbines used to process it. Turbinado sugar is what’s left over after raw sugar cane juice has been stripped of its natural molasses and impurities, as well as its vitamins, minerals and other trace elements.
Sometimes we have to go beyond the health articles and exercise tips to find these great blog posts that discuss ideas that get buried in the mounds of content we see everyday. Here is a great article on the importance of eating fruits and vegetables, especially your leafy greens. It also discusses gardening in the winter, so no excuses, start making those salads!
Reblog from wildplacesopenspaces
Michael Pollan writes in his book Food Rules, an Eater’s Manual under Rule #22; Eat Mostly Plants, Especially Leaves that
Grapefruit is an amazing fruit that can be considered a "superfood." It is an 18th century hybrid that comes from Barbados where it was named the "forbidden fruit." Grapefruit's very acidic nature results in its bitter, "sour taste." But enough about the history of grapefruit, let's answer the question, "why should you eat it?"
1. Reduces Hunger - the makeup of grapefruit helps to curb hunger and thus makes it a great mid-morning or afternoon snack.
2. Protects the Heart - A study in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, showed that eating
1. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need Every day, just one cucumber contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc. 2. Feeling tired in the afternoon, Put down the caffeinated soda and pick up a Cucumber. Cucumbers are a good source of B Vitamins and Carbohydrates that can provide that Quick pick-me-up that can last for Hours. 3. Tired of your bathroom mirror Fogging up after a shower? Try rubbing a Cucumber slice along the mirror, it will
Looking for something to help increase the metabolism and get your day started off right? Sometimes all it takes is just eating the right foods. While there are many foods that can help boost metabolism, here are ten that Supplement Spot finds to be both satisfying and good for you!
1. Blueberries - All berries are good for you, but blueberries also provide a great source of fiber. Not to mention they are full of antioxidants too!
2. Wild Salmon - Salmon is full of Omega 3s, which improve insulin sensitivity. In other words, it builds