Take your hand off of your mouse, and grab a piece of paper and a pencil. Do it now, because you know you won't do it later if you click to another page. Now, write down on it 3 things specific things that you want to accomplish today (Examples: go to the gym, pay the bills, listen to a new CD, be in bed by midnight). Keep this list next to you as you read the rest of this article.
1. Create a "TO DON'T" list A "TO DON'T" list is a list of things that
A couple of decades ago a patient referred to as SM went to doctors in Iowa with a rare condition. The disease causes lesions in a particular area in the brain called the amygdala. Through working with her, doctors and scientists discovered that the amygdala is the area in the brain that allows us to feel afraid, and because of her condition, SM has not ever have that feeling. This is not to say that she cannot be startled or does not understand the concept of fear, just when she sees a snake or a spider she
1. Your bed is not going to sleep in itself. Recently, people have been working a lot more and sleeping a lot less. So much so, that some have actually changed the amount of sleep that is "normal" for their body from 8 hours to 6 hours. Give yourself a break, and get in bed.
2. Stretch as much as you can. When you are at home, sit on the ground and do some stretches, it will make you feel a lot better and can increase your flexibility. If you are at the gym, it is actually better to
You may think that yoga is overrated, but it improves flexibility, circulation, and new research shows, can boost your mood! Here are 5 yoga poses to push you towards your happy place!
1. Downward Facing Dog - This pose circulates blood to the head and stretches the back. First, you will need to start on all fours, with hands under your shoulders. Curl your toes, take a breath, and, as you exhale, press into your hands, lifting your hips back. Holding the pose, keep your spine straight (bending your knees if need be) and your weight resting evenly between
A lot of things in life can make us unhappy and stressed. But how many of those things are self-inflicted? In many cases, by letting go of some things, we can live happier, healthier lives. Here are seven things that you should give up to increase your happiness:
1. Give Up the Need to Always be Right - It feels good to be right and win, but at what cost? Is stressing your relationships, friendships, or even acquaintances by arguing over a simple matter worth it? In most cases, probably not. Unless you feel absolutely compelled to
A new survey conducted found that people aren't at their happiest until age 33. A study by Friends Reunited, a British social-networking site, found that 70% of respondents over the age of 40 claimed they were not truly happy until they reached 33.
Why age 33? At age 33, there has been enough time to shake-off naive childhood and teenager dreams and thoughts, without losing energy and enthusiasm of their youth. Our innocence has been lost, but there is still hope and a "can-do" attitude that helps us set aspirational goals and believe that we still have much to achieve. Roughly 16% of
Are you the person who always wakes up at 3 a.m. and can't go back to sleep? Maybe you are the person who waits "patiently" for over an hour just to get that beauty rest. Whenever you can't fall back to sleep is trivial, however, what is keeping you up at night is not. Here are 5 major reasons why you may be having trouble sleeping.
1. Mental Illness and Stress - Insomnia is a cause and symptom of anxiety and depression. Stress can kick off neurotransmitters that can keep you thinking late